If you are unable to access WhatsApp, it can be because your account has been banned (or blocked). It is common for WhatsApp to ban certain users who have been using unauthorized apps to access the app. If that occurs, what should you do?
Types of Bans
Generally, there are 2 types of bans that WhatsApp will impose.
- Temporary Bans – This normally goes on for only a few days. It is to warn you that you have breached some rule and it should be lifted automatically. This ban is commonly imposed because you sent messages to users who are not in your phonebook.
- Permanent Bans – If the rules you breached are serious, then you might get this. WhatsApp has the final say as to whether the ban will be lifted.
Appealing the bans
The process for appealing is as below:
- Temporary Bans – There will be a countdown (in hours, usually 24 or 48) that will be displayed on your application. You just have to wait for the countdown to end.
- Permanent Bans – You should receive the message ‘’Your number is no longer enabled to use our service’. You will need to contact technical support and you want to try and prove that you involuntarily committed the error.
Getting your old WhatsApp account back
There are situations when you need to use your old WhatsApp account. This usually occurs in situations where you get a new SIM card or change a new phone. It can be very disappointing when you have a new device but do not have your old messages.
Using your old SIM
You can maintain your old WhatsApp account by:
- Go to Settings and look for WhatsApp in the list of apps installed.
- Select ‘Clear Data’ (by choosing No).
- Launch WhatsApp. You will be asked to enter your phone number. Type in your previous phone number.
- You will be asked to key in an OTP (One True Pairing) number which you will receive on your phone. Type that in and you are ready to use your old WhatsApp account.
Same phone, new number
You can use your old WhatsApp account when you change a new SIM Card. To do that, you need to:
- In WhatsApp, select ‘More Options’.
- Select Settings and choose Account.
- Select Change Number and you have to type in the old number and the new number in the respective fields.
- You will then need to type in the verification code which will be sent to your new number.
Transfer old WhatsApp chat history
You can transfer all your chats from the old number to the new by restoring from your backup. To do this, you need to choose More Options and then select Chats. There, you need to choose Chat Backup and enable Google Drive Backup.
Note: We have instant file transfer script
Note: This option is only available for Android phones. iPhone users will need to back up into iCloud.
After that, you need to install WhatsApp, verify your number and restore your chat history.